Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The best of 2014



This is where I share my list of the top CDs of 2014.

But let’s get one thing straight, right from the start: I’m not a critic, I’m a music fan. I know what I like. I also like to think that sometimes I can tell good music from the other kind. And I buy and listen to a lot of CDs every year. More than my wife would prefer, perhaps. But it’s still just a small fraction of the music that is issued. And I buy music based on what I know about an artist or what I learn from trusted sources. I don’t buy everything that I expect to be “important.”

So this is my list of 2014 albums that I liked best. That usually means that I want to hear them again and again.

“Bad Self Portraits,” Lake Street Dive: I’ve liked this four-piece, uncategorizable Boston band since I first heard them on Prairie Home Companion a few years ago. They blend jazz, pop, R&B, an a couple other genres on original songs and well-picked covers. Check them out on YouTube, especially their street-corner cover of the Jackson Five’s “I Want You Back.”  On this, their second full-length, the focus is on original songs, Rachael Price’s amazing voice, a bracing sense of fun, and an amazingly wide range of supporting vocals, instrumental arrangements, and stylistic influences. They’re just fun to listen to. And they’re even better live in person, as I discovered when I saw them in Boulder last spring.

“The River and the Thread,” Rosanne Cash: Since her father’s death in 2003, Johnny’s daughter has spent several albums making eloquent and deeply felt music that articulates the emotional and musical legacy she inherited (and sometimes struggles with). This collection draws inspiration from a trip back to the South to restore her father’s boyhood home. Like most of Rosanne’s 11 other albums, it is tasteful, literate, heartfelt and well-crafted, and tends to gain depth and resonance with repeated listening.



“High Hopes,” Bruce Springsteen: Since “The Rising” in 2002, Springsteen has been on a creative comeback, with a handful of albums that were both relevant and a compelling listen, if not exactly classic Boss. “High Hopes,” made with guitarist Tom Morello, consists of outtakes and covers (sometime Bruce covers his own song catalog). There’s no grand theme, but it somehow holds together, and is the best-sounding and most listenable Springsteen album since “The Rising.”





“Lazaretto,” Jack White: The former White Stripes’ guitarist and singer’s new album works better than 2012’s “Blunderbuss,” in my opinion. White’s voice and electric blues riffs remind me of Led Zeppelin everythime I put this disc on, and that’s a good thing. But at the same time, it manages to sound completely up to date.

The Haden Triplets: These sisters, whose tight harmonies could only be created by siblings, are daughters of Charlie Haden, a true giant among jazz bass players who died in 2014. There’s no jazz here, though. Petra, Rachel and Tanya sing traditional country, gospel and folk. The choice of songs and vocal arrangements are impeccable, but what sets this album apart for me is the presence of Ry Cooder, who produced it and leads the band, including his son Joachim on drums. 

“Common Ground: Dave and Phil Alvin Play and Sing the songs of Big Bill Broonzy:” Dave and Phil Alvin were the guitarist and singer, respectively, for the Blasters, who came out of the 1980s Los Angeles punk rock scene playing high-energy original music influenced by pre-Beatles rock ‘n’ roll, blues, rockabilly, and R&B. The Blasters broke up by the mid-80s, but Dave Alvin has had a sterling solo career writing, recording and playing roots music. The Blasters reunited in 2002-03 for several shows and a pair of live albums, and now the Alvin brothers got back together to pay tribute to Big Bill Broonzy (1893-1958), who in the course of a 30-year career progressed from acoustic Delta blues to uptown jump blues. Broonzy was a supremely talented singer and guitarist who played a wide variety of styles and settings. The Alvin brothers  capture some of the variety of Broonzy’s music and have made a highly listenable and fun album in the process.

Other albums I really liked:

  • “Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone,” Lucinda Williams
  • “Reasonable Amount of Trouble,” Jesse Winchester
  • “Standing in the Breach,” Jackson Browne
  •  “Carter Girl,” Carlene Carter
  •  “Terms of My Surrender,” John Hiatt
  • “Live,” Gary Clark Jr.
  •  “American Middle Class,” Angaleena Presley
  • “Songs,” John Fullbright
  • “Somewhere Else,” Lydia Loveless

Other lists:




No comments:

Post a Comment